For our older Junior Church Members
Grab the popcorn and gather round to watch this classic Rob Bell video - Noise
From Rob Bell: Why is silence so hard to deal with? Why is it so much easier for us to live our lives with a lot of things going on all the time than to just be in silence? We’re constantly surrounded with ‘voices’ that are influencing us on how to think, feel, and behave. Movies, music, TV, internet, cell phones, and a never-ending barrage of advertising. There’s always something going on. Always noise in our lives. But maybe there’s a connection between the amount of noise in our lives and our inability to hear God. If God sometimes feels distant to us. Maybe it’s not because he’s not talking to us but simply because we aren’t really listening.
Some questions you may wish to discuss together…
1. Bell was reading about a guy named Bernie Krause who records nature sounds for film and television. He was saying that, in 1968, in order to get one hour of natural sound, like no airplanes, no cars, that it would take him about 15 hours of recording time, and he was saying that today, to get that same one hour of undisturbed sound, it takes him 2000 hours of recording time. What does the Bernie Krause story have to say about how our world has changed? What kind of noise do you have in your life?
2. Why is silence so hard to deal with?
3. Do you ever surround yourself with noise intentionally? If so, why do you think you do this?
4. Do you wish God’s voice would be louder in your life? Does all the noise in our lives make it hard to hear God?
5. When was the last time you spent some time in silence?